It seems like the internet is simply full of funny cat videos, doesn’t it? Even people that aren’t self-proclaimed cat lovers admit to enjoying feline antics once in awhile, and why wouldn’t they? They’re funny, adorable, amazing, and unpredictable. While it may be fun to sit back and marvel at various cat behaviors, it’s important to be able to recognize the difference between the amusing ones and the potential warning signs.
Expounding on the full extent of funny or odd cat behaviors could take awhile. There are just so many! You might see some familiar ones on the list below, or your cat might be a trendsetter with their very own idiosyncrasies. Either way, cats are clear contenders in the animal antics department. Continue…
The weather is slowly shifting from hot and humid to slightly less hot and humid, and this has nature lovers excited to spend some quality time outdoors with their canine companions. Virginia is home to an extensive network of hiking trails, and the many dog friendly Arlington area trails are sure to keep you and your pooch busy this summer.
Dog Friendly Arlington Trails
Whether you and your dog are seasoned hikers or you just like to enjoy a leisurely walk in nature, there’s no shortage of options in our neck of the woods. Some of our favorites include:
- Fort Bennett Park and Palisades Trail – This well-developed trail in a city park offers 11 acres of lovely woods and open space.
- Windy Run Park – Wooded nature paths and a bubbling stream make for an enjoyable afternoon at this park (just keep your dog out of the stream, as it’s being restored due to erosion).
- Theodore Roosevelt Island – Enjoy a variety of trails and beautiful scenery in this popular 90-acre island park.
- Donaldson Run Park – This is a beautiful secluded area with a pond and paved walking paths.
- Four Mile Run Trail – This trail features over 6 miles of paved walking paths in a natural setting (watch out for bikers and inline skaters).
- Turkey Run Trail – You won’t actually see any wild turkeys along this moderately difficult trail, but gorgeous wildflowers and a lovely streamside hike are guaranteed.
- Scott’s Run Nature Preserve Trails – If you like waterfalls, you don’t want to miss this secluded trail.
- Mason Neck State Park – This family friendly park boasts trails, ponds, a playground, and a fishing area.
Lastly, don’t forget to pick up after your dog!
Heat Safety 101
In comparison to humans, dogs are at a higher risk for dehydration and heat stroke, so pet heat safety is a must when out walking or hiking:
- Take frequent water breaks in the shade, and bring along bottled water and a collapsible bowl.
- Walk in shaded or grassy areas whenever possible to avoid injuring your dog’s paw pads (hot pavement or concrete can lead to burns!).
- On the hottest days, stick to early morning or evening walks when temperatures are lower.
- Watch your dog closely; stop immediately and move to a shaded area if you notice any signs of heat distress, such as excessive panting/drooling, stumbling, bright red or pale gums, lethargy, or collapse. Call us right away.
Lose weight. Create a budget. Take up a hobby. Spend more time with loved ones. These are some of the many common New Year’s resolutions that top people’s lists. But let’s face it, most of us don’t get too far with resolutions (especially the less exciting ones).
Thankfully, if you’re a proud pet owner, we have some exciting things to focus on when you pen those necessary goals. How about a list of resolutions for pet owners focused on your furry pal?
What a great year it has been! As we reflect upon 2017 and all of the wonderful pet patents and families we have met in our practice, we can’t help but feel thankful. It is always our pleasure to offer exceptional care to your special pet companion, and to help create the best quality of life possible.
Part of how we do this is through our blog. Our goal for the blog is to help encourage better health and wellbeing for pets, and in turn, enhance their day-to-day life through pet owner education. We hope you have enjoyed these informational posts as much as we have enjoyed writing them.
Without further ado, here are Arlington Animal Hospital’s most popular pet blogs of 2017.
In this world of increasingly grey areas, one thing is absolute: children adore animals. There’s nothing simpler or more meaningful than the bond between a pet and his or her young master/mistress/guardian/playmate/partner in crime.
That being said, many dynamic duos need a little help to make sure everyone remains safe. Wondering how to make the world of children and pet safety easier on the whole family? Arlington Animal Hospital is here to help!
The Cart Before the Horse
Welcoming an animal into your home has unlimited benefits. Pets tap into your child’s potential for learning trust, respect, compassion, empathy, and caring. They can even boost his or her self-esteem. However, your child must be patient, understanding, and accommodating to the myriad needs of a new pet.
2624 Columbia Pike,
Arlington, VA 22204
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Doctors’ hours are by appointment only.